Thursday, March 20, 2014

How To Train Your Dragon (and series) Book Review

How to Train Your Dragon is the first book of the series and is written and illustrated by Cressida Cowell. The book series are one of my favourites. It is about a Viking boy called Hiccup but nearly everyone thinks he’s useless even though he is the son of the Viking leader, Stork the Vast. He was old enough to train a dragon so he and the other boys in the Pirate Training Programme go to a cave and pick one of the
hibernating dragons in the dark. But then Fishlegs, Hiccup’s only friend, accidentally trips over a sleeping dragon so it wakes up and the boys run for their lives. Fishlegs hasn't got any dragons so Hiccup gives him his and on the way out, he goes back into the cave and takes the closest one to him. When he discovers that the dragon was only a Common or Garden Dragon, Snoutlout, the meanest boy in the Pirate Training Programme, sneers at him and boasts about him getting a Monstrous Nightmare Dragon, even though he’s not allowed one because only Viking leaders (or future ones) could train one according to the Viking laws. But then Fishlegs quickly tells a false story that Toothless is a rare Toothless Daydream and that they are very vicious.

The movie, How To Train Your Dragon, was based of the series and I cannot decide which one is better! When I first started reading the series, I didn't know anything because I watched the movie first. Tip for all of you: Always read the books before you watch the movie. I think that Astrid (from the movie) was based off Camicazi, there are lots of similarities, don't you think so too?

I hate Snoutlout because he is so mean, rude and arrogant. I don’t know why he never gets punished for mocking the son of a Viking chief! Though he is Hiccup's cousin.

My favourite character is Toothless because he is so funny and naughty! In later books, there are conversations with him and I found them HILARIOUS!

I recommend that you read these books because there's a gripping story line and full of mythology and comedy (though sometimes it is quite rude!).

No comments:

Post a Comment